24 Things We Love About Eritrea
Sawa Eri Youth Festival
By Bereket Kidane
On the occasion of Eritrea’s 24th birthday, here are 24 things we love about Eritrea. You may have seen this list before but it is slightly revised from last year’s.
1. It is a sacred land. A gift from our martyrs.
2. Eritrea is the only place that is my true home and where I feel like I belong. Everywhere else is just temporary.
3. The beauty of the land of Eritrea from the highlands to the lowlands, from the Red Sea coast in Massawa to the mountains and valleys outside of Asmara.
4. It is the land of ancient Islam and Christianity. One of the few places in the world where you can find a mosque and a church only a block away from each other.
5. It is totally crime free. The only country in the world where you can walk downtown without looking over your shoulder at night.
6. Summertime in Asmara and the diversity of the languages heard from teenagers and young adults who come from all over Europe, Middle East and North America, speak more languages than one can count and yet all have incredible love for the people and land of Eritrea.
7. The heroism of Tegadeltis. It is the land of Yikalo and Warsay.
8. Gelato and evening stroll on Godena Harnet Combishtato.
9. Eritrea proves that miracles do happen, sometimes against all odds.
10. The Jacaranda trees lining Eritrean cities and the Bougainvillea flowers that cover the villas.
11. The tranquility and perfect year-round weather of Keren and the hospitality of Kerenites. The majestic mountains of Upper Keren (Keren Laelay).
12. The sense of community that is prevalent in Eritrea. Unlike in New York or Los Angeles, people know you from the time you are born until the time you die. People show up at weddings and funerals uninvited.
13. The trenches of Nakfa and the stories they would tell if they could talk.
14. The Sawa Youth Festival. It draws musical talents from inside and outside of Eritrea and brings together Eritrean youths from all over the planet where they party in a fun and patriotic atmosphere.
15. Every taxi driver is a former tegadalay and has war stories to tell.
16. Dancing in the streets of Asmara during Independence Week’s Carnival.
17. The deliciousness and freshness of the food. The best organic food in the West doesn’t compare in flavor to what grows or is harvested in Eritrea.
18. You don’t have to travel far to see every topographical region. The desert, the sea, the mountains are all within 3 hours. Every topography exists in Eritrea, more beautifully and ruggedly.
19. The Eritrean people’s diversity and harmony. The nine different languages and customs. One people, One heart!
20. Gorgusum Beach, its wonderful sea-breeze and salty air. The crashing waves of the Red Sea that bring sand and unique shells. The ferry ride to Green Island and Dahlak Islands.
21. The strength and resilience of the mothers, particularly mothers of martyrs. They have lost so much and yet they only feel pride and joy. The strength they show is amazing.
22. PIA, the George Washington of Eritrea.
23. The national cycling team. Somebody from Team Eritrea is always at the podium claiming the top prize while Eritrea’s national anthem is playing
24. Only 24 reasons? With 5 million Eritreans, there are 5 million things we love about Eritrea! What do you love about Eritrea?
24 Things We Love About Eritrea Reviewed by Admin on 10:43 AM Rating: