Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Trending

random
.

Eritrea: Access to clean drinking water improves to 85%



April 11, 2013 — Access to clean drinking water in rural and urban communities in Eritrea has improved to a total of 85%, according to the Mebrahtu Eyasu, the general director of water resources in the Ministry of Land, Water and Environment.

Because Eritrea experiences sporadic or scarce rainfall in arid and semi-desert areas, the Minister disclosed that 85% of the potable water obtained comes from underground reservoirs, while the remaining 15% come from ground level sources.

Despite lacking abundant fresh water resources, Eritrea nearly doubled the amount of beneficiaries with access to potable water; going from 43% in 1990 to 85% today. The government aims to have 98% of the population with access to clean drinking water by 2018.



Access to potable water in the HOA

CountryRuralUrbanTotal____
Eritrea
77
95
Ethiopia
34
97
48
Djibouti
54
99
87
Sudan
52
67
58

Source: WHO|















Eritrea's progress since independece 

YearRuralUrbanTotal____
1990
39
62
43
2000
50
70
54
2005
57
74
60
2011
77
95

Source:  WHO|












Eritrean woman collecting potable water in southern Eritrea

Map showcasing access to improved drinking water 

Rainfall in Eritrea
Sponsored Ads
Eritrea: Access to clean drinking water improves to 85% Reviewed by Admin on 5:09 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by Madote © 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.